Sunday, January 21, 2007

number 30

food & thought
Firehouse Subs makes a good sandwich, every time, and today, in Clemson, with my friend, out of the rain and just out of a church in the basement of a bar where I sang with hands that raised for the very first time to take hold of something -- there, after that and the morning's drive we sat and ate and talked excitedly about what had just happened in that small room and it was the bread, I decided, that made their sandwiches so good with everything sliced thin and just right between the halves and I thought about how torn, how in halves I was myself in that place -- not wanting to move beyond the moment and the experience of a worshiping that ran even beyond the power of my heart's hard lines -- there was that half -- and there, too, was the other side that couldn't wait to put my feet out on that wet pavement, moving onward.


Good Meal
Our ragged line taking the
broken loaf dipped in dark wine --
some ate bits, some mouthfuls.

No comments: