Friday, January 19, 2007

number 29

food & thought
At a chinese joint I've meant to stop in at for months I finally moved through the door and there were tables and when I ordered the Singapore Chow Mei Fun it was red lettered on the menu and the woman quietly told me "it's hot" and I quietly told her "good" and we smiled and I sat in the corner with all the glass walls a window to the street and that seat with that view was why I'd meant to stop all that time, really, but the food came on and it was a thick yellow curry and maybe the best I've had, though I think some better will come along and I sat thinking still of the woman the day before telling me, reminding us of how everywhere our God is, how inescapable and how good and how terrifying and how solid that truth is.


He Is
He stands in every dark room.
We forget -- then feel his breath,
remember, and speak his name.

No comments: